Tuesday, April 13, 2010

On the Road to Nairobi Episode III – Town of Busia, Kenyan border

Around midnight, the bus finally reached the border checkpoint. Everyone got off the bus and trudged along to the immigration office which was a building that was no bigger than 10x10.  Right outside, there were a swarm of money changers who cry out "Do you need dollar for visa?" or "I offer good rates."

A firm wave of the hand or a No usually did the trick.

After paying the visa fee to Kenya ($25) and receiving the visa, I went and used the restroom.

Coming out, I was accosted by a man who demanded that I pay 10 Kenyan Shillings which is roughly 8 cents. I fumbled for my coins and finding none so I handed him a 100 Kenyan Shilling bill and asked for change.

Then, he reached into his pocket and handed me 50 Kenyan Shillings while reciting "because you are my brother, I'll have small change for soda" with a crooked grin. I quickly snatched away the bill and handed him 10 Shillings from my friend.

Lesson #3: Be careful when you meet your new brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment